Thursday, August 25, 2005

I got it!

Check it OUT y'all! I'm in a state. All giddy and whatnot. I'll tell you why: today, I got my first professional theatre gig! With Black Theatre Workshop! I've had a goofy grin on my face all evening...

So last weekend, I filled in for this actress while the cast was workshopping a new play called Blacks don't Bowl. I had a great time--what an intelligent group of people, and a whole lotta talent in the room. I was very sad when the weekend gig was up, but I figured, hey, at least now they know who I am, and they can decide for themselves whether or not they like my skills.

Turns out they do. A lot. Yeah, baby!

It just goes to show you, sometimes man, you can just never let up and never mess up, because there are limited opportunities for black anglophone actresses in this town and the minute you mess up, someone else will be right there to take your place. I'm not sure how I feel about that though. I don't think I could live my career always looking over my shoulder. Bag that. I'll be as professional as I can, do my best to always be growing and that's all I can do. Either they'll like me or they don't, they'll want me or they won't.

No comments: