Tuesday, May 30, 2006

The postmortem

Mr. Abe the Babe has raised a good point. I never told y'all how the movie was. Well, suffice to say, the whole experience was an adventure. I bought a ticket for the first matinee at 12:30, and arrived nice and early, which was a good thing. The place was packed and the excitement in the room was palpable. I got a gorgeous seat, dead center, and sitting between some truly handsome fellas.

A Tamara Sandwich!

Anyway, you know how those commercials sort of play on a loop until it's time for the previews? Well, at 12:35, the same three lame commercials were playing on a loop. At about 12:50, they were still playing and folks were getting het up. It was the worst version of Groundhog Day ever. So at 12:55, an employee comes in and says, the projector is broken and they're trying to fix it, so we'll have to wait until it's fixed and they don't know how long it'll take. Anyone who wants to change theatres and see the next show at 1:10 can switch theatres. Everyone except for six other people and myself rushed the doors. I literally had only reached down to get my purse and when I looked up, three-quarters of the room were at the door. I knew I would never get a seat, and certainly, not such a perfect one as I had, bookended with beefcake.

Anyhoo.

Fifteen minutes later, the same dude comes in and says to the six of us, well, the other room is totally full, and they won't get the projector fixed that day, so we can see the 1:30 show upstairs and get a free movie voucher to boot.

I sprinted like a madwoman, hoping against all hope to get a decent seat, and there it was, waiting for me. Of course, there weren't beautiful men flanking me, but it was an entertaining place to be nonetheless. Mr. Macho on my right was so crying when certain people died. Uh huh.
The older lady on my left flinched a lot at the loud noises.

Oh, right, the movie.

Well, it was good, it was an X-Men flick, I went in with no expectations so I had loads of fun. Neat effects, Halle Berry was a lot less useless in this one as Storm, pity it took them so long to figure out how important a chacracter she is. But well, truth be told, it's not like Halle's a particularly great actress or anything. Fine as all get-out, but well shoot, some of my students could whomp her butt onscreen. In true Storm form, she does spend a fair bit of time getting her keester kicked, but she pulls through in the end with an awesome payback. I liked her new hairdo. They mention the new 'do in the script, I think she made the director put it in. Jean Grey has a new hairdo, and she doesn't have to have anybody remark upon it. Hmph. Oscar winners.

I won't spoil the end, but I'll say this: although there will apparently be no more X-Men films, they're setting you up for a buttload of spinoffs. Also: Vinnie Jones is the BOMB, I've loved him since forever (okay, since Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels), and I just wish he'd come to his senses and ask me out on a date.

Also, you should wait until the end of the credits, because there's nifty new twist.

Well, this is me, signing off. Meaningful content is surely on the way, but now I've gotta boogie and go meet my girl G for lunch.
Cheers!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halle Berry actually refused to do the film unless they expanded her character. I was kind of torn about that - I agree that they made her useless in the first two flicks, but on the other hand they went way away from the comics in the movie by making her the leader, it's just not in character.

Tamara said...

And it was quite an abrupt departure from her role in the previous movies as well. It wasn't at all clear how her role could have evolved so drastically.

At least she lost that lame attempt at an "African" accent.

Tamara said...

If you go see Bob the Angry Flower.com he has a fun review of the film. Equal parts love and mockery. Just my flavour.