Friday, June 01, 2007

Just...Wow.

First of all, I didn't even realize that I have now passed the 200 post mark. H'ray for me!

Second and most importantly, last night I went to Place des Arts and saw Maya Angelou. Oh. My. Goodness. I feel as though I've had a defining moment in my life, just from being in the same room with her and hearing her speak. I mean, she came on stage, and the first thing she did when she opened her mouth was to sing. Honest to goodness, I felt on the verge of tears the whole time. I always remembered her as this tall, statuesque amazon-type woman, but now she's so tiny! Granted, she's in her seventies now, but still...I wasn't prepared for that.

She is wonderful: funny, warm, down-to-earth, authentic, irreverent, so wise and articulate. I really felt like I was just sitting in her living room listening to her speak. She only spoke for about an hour, but I could have gone on listening to her for a lot longer. I am so inspired by her life and her heart. You just have to love this woman.

And her voice....smooth like butterscotch. Warm and rich and spicy like hot cocoa with chili pepper. A real whiskey voice. I am the luckiest woman EVER.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:O i had completely forgotten you were going to see her! An hour long? Did somebody else speak as well?

Tamara said...

No, but Dawn Tyler Watson opened for her. An original song and one of the nicest, bluesy covers of "Come Together" I've heard in a long time...

Anonymous said...

that's really chill! Did she talk about anything in particular or was it a reading, or mayby both.