Friday, January 04, 2008

In the balance...

Atlantic City was more awesome than not. Yeah, the working conditions are utter crap, stupidly long drive, utterly appalling food, the accommodations just a few degrees shy of being a biohazard, and the wages are a scandal.

But on the other hand, I had more fun with the other female vocalists than I ever could have anticipated. I feared we'd end up being a really cheesy version of the Pussycat Dolls or something, but we were more like En Vogue. Onstage, we killed that place, and I'm prouder of what we did than I've ever been since I started with that band. And we had a blast offstage too (when we weren't coughing up lungs because of the hotel-I said I wasn't going to complain about that.) I think I keep taking these gigs because I enjoy being with the other musicians so much.
Everybody loved us (with the exception of snotty girls who felt threatened by the fact that we all weighed under 200 pounds. What!? It's true. Women are catty, it's the reason why I don't generally enjoy working with other women.)

I listened to lots of Richard Cheese and François Pérusse, which was pure jokes. Although I didn't eat particularly well, I did manage to get to the gym everyday, so I actually managed to lose some weight. We even got to party with DJ Jazzy Jeff on New Year's in the big indoor pool after we finished our gig.

Yeah, when I weight it all in the balance, it was being with my colleagues that made up for being far away from my family and friends (who I missed terribly, particularly on Christmas and New Year's.) And I think that this coming year, I want to make a point of physically being with the people I love much more than I did last year.

No comments: