Wednesday, February 14, 2007

This weekend...

I found out that one of my students had been brutally attacked ("mugged" according to his family) and is currently in the hospital. I had just finished speaking to his mother, and she and the family are all still pretty traumatized about what happened. It's a "long story" and "complicated".

Basically, last week, he had been found beaten by the police, and rather than attempt to find out what happened, they dumped him in jail for a day or two. Because hey, a young black man who's been beaten up must have been up to no good, right? So his condition was complicated as a result of not getting medical treatment right away.

She says it'll take at least a month before he's more himself again. And then she started to cry. So he's in much worse shape than I even imagined. Although he and I have never had "the conversation" about it, I suspect that he was targeted for violence for a very specific and personal reason: because of his sexual orientation: this whole situation smells strongly of a hate crime.

This is just one more reson why I think that people suck.

No comments: