Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Wh...wha???

I woke up this morning a full four pounds heavier than I was over the weekend. Sources say that I went on a mad chocolate and potato chip binge, but I'm not buying it until I see photgraphic proof, or until it shows up in People Magazine. Then you know it's fact.

This week was an awesome one for the tour. Some truly warm and receptive audiences. Wow. It made me really grateful that I have this job. What a way to make a living. Meaninful theatre that stimulates discourse and love and deep thought. We were out in Prevost yesterday at Batshaw, and it was an extravaganza. Once a year, they have a special to-do for Black History Month. We set up, and then sat down to lunch with all the students before doing the show. And the food? Whoo-ee! It was a festival! Somebody's mama was all up in there cooking, because there were accra, stewed beef, fried chicken, jerk chicken, spicy jamaican patties, peas and rice, ackee and saltfish, fried cod, plantain, fried dumpling, and chicken roti. I ate some of everything. Oh, yes I did, and I don't even feel bad about it, because it was the BOMB!!!! That lady knows how to throw down in the kitchen.

(any of you wiseguys in the background suggesting that that's where all the weight crept on can put a sock in it, thank you. I defy Ghandhi or anyone else with superhuman self-control to resist the magic of that feast. Even the little teeny-bopper girls couldn't front: they loaded up their plates too.)

After the show, they had an awards ceremony and gave us plaques and flowers to thank us for being there, and then this young man came up and did some spoken word poetry that he had written about Black History Month. I can't lie: I cried, because it was so beautiful, and so painful. (perhaps the upcoming visit of my Aunt Flo has something to do with it too, but that's the only reason why I couldn't hold it in, because I would've felt the same way, no matter what time of the month I heard it)

Okay, that's it for now. I loves ya, lots and lots. Call me or something, okay?

No comments: