Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Cleaning House

Since I've been packing in preparation for the move, I've been decluttering and feng shui-ing my apartment. It's such an amazing feeling to throw away those things that you've been hanging on to out of nostalgia (or laziness) but which no longer serve a useful purpose, or those things which which lose their initial significance. You know what I'm talking about. Those relics of previous days that you thought would always mean so much to you, or that would recall moments that you thought would always be pleasurable?

Yeah, allyuh packrats, I'm talkin to YOU.

I too, have been guilty of this phenomenon in the past, but once I started throwing out the things I didn't need (like those articles of clothing I haven't worn in the past year, for example) and got down to the bare essentials, I felt so light! Like I was actually on top of things! Well, soon that translated itself over to feng shui-ing my body and clearing out stupid junk foods, alcohol, and cigarettes (I haven't slipped up in a week). Next, comes the clearing out of angry, bitter and frustrated resentments that I've been hanging on to. Who needs them? They're just taking up space in my mind. Even little things like clearing my desk, my purse, clearing away profanity...now that I've started, I just can't stop!

Anyway, to quote the good folks of Parliament (think Funkadelic and not government):

Free your mind and your booty will follow...

No comments: