Tuesday, August 22, 2006

The Road Warriors

Sorry it took me so long to update, but I've been busy...good busy! And now I have found a gorgeous apartment! I'll be living right around the corner from Cyrille and Charmaine (hmm, I suspect that I'll be getting lots of calls to babysit--actually, that's okay, they've got cable!) And the beauty supply shops are barely a 20 minute walk! Yes sir! My hair will be hooked up...SOLID! I won't have to wait until I go stateside to get hair goodies! Although I can never seem to find Matrix Biolage products at a decent price in town. But I digress.

My own, pretty, pretty apartment! Yay! God came through for me, Babies! Thanks for the prayers, did they ever work! It's a decent price that I can afford, so I won't be destitute. I won't even be po'. I'll just be broke. That's a step in the right direction, I think. Next step, find a second job. Then I'll get out of debt. And baby, after that, the sky's the limit! I'll start saving!

So yeah, the rest of the trip...

So we hit the road early the next morning, full of coffee and better rested than the day before. I continued knitting while me and Stephanie talked, and talked, AND talked. I haven't talked that much with any single person in a long time. And the tunes were so good1 The rest of Baltimore sped by to the sounds of Amel Larrieux. Sigh.

Washington D.C. and Virginia were all about Earth, Wind and Fire. And I saw brick red roads for the first time in my life. It's pretty trippy. (I've never been to P.E.I. so I've never witnessed that phenomenon firsthand before.) And it was swelteringly hot. That dirty heatwave just wouldn't let up, man.
Kudzu creeps over all the trees and makes these wicked living leafy sculptures all along the side of the road, which was cool. Ah, and Donny Hathaway saw us over the state line into North Carolina.

Because we switched from the I-95 to the I-85, we didn't get to stop at South of the Border, this wonderfully tacky theme park in South Carolina just south of the state line to N.C. Mom and Fabian wouldn't stop there either when we drove down to Florida during my high school days. More's the pity. I remember watching that movie with Sandra Bullock and Ben Affleck Forces of Nautre, and it looked like they were having so much fun when they stopped there. And I mean, they aren't the finest actors around, so it must be true! I make a solemn promise to myself to one day stop there and go on the rides and eat bad Mexican food, 'cause I like to live dangerously!

Sort of.

Anyhow. Then we hit Georgia, and everything was going smoothly until we hit the Atlanta area, and of course we had to start to get lost again. But I imagine that after 12 hours of driving, your concentration gets a little wonky, so it's inevitable. But as it turns out, the place where we stopped to call for directions turned out to be the right direction to take, and fifteen minutes later, Stephanie's mom drove up, led us to Popeye's Chicken, and then took us home. And the spicy chicken, red beans and rice, and buttermilk biscuits were everything that I imagined they would be. The cold beers could not wash away my goofy, blissed out grin.

Was it worth the sixteen hour hunt?
You best believe it was, baby. I'd do it again.

It was the Taco Bell that I regretted.

I'll tell you about Atlanta next time. What a place.

No comments: